Wednesday 11 March 2009

Internshipstuffs...

You know all those stories in the Good Book where Christ is telling some parable and the people completely miss the metaphor?  Like when he calls himself the living water and the lady thinks he's talking about a liquid.  Or when he says his followers must eat his body and drink his blood and they think he's suggesting cannibalism.  Well, I get to talk with these chaps every Wednesday - and it's quite the thrill, let me tell you.


My internship in London is with a community project based out of a local church that runs a soup kitchen for those "on the outskirts of society."  This means not only the homeless, but the people with speaking problems or drug problems or schizophrenia.  There's one lady who thinks everyone in the world is out to get her.  "I'm still alive," she notified us today when we first saw her.


Needless to say, I have some really interesting conversations every week.  I'm sure I'll share some with you one day, but for now I'd like to concentrate on the Bible study bit we do at the end...


"The question I have for you is this..." said Nic, our leader, after a 45 dialogue on the original Passover of Moses' day (really, the conversation included everything from fig trees to milk and honey to Gordon Brown, depending on whatever came to their minds).  "If you had the choice to put the blood of the lamb on your doorpost, would you do it?"


"hm..."  said one.  "Now that is a very interesting question you have put to us, Nic."


"I - I know if - if I had blood of anythin on my - on my door," interrupted another, "I would wipe it off."


"Well, I might would need a house in the winter because it's cold, but I don't need one in the summer," added a third.


"A very interesting question, that is, Nic."   And that's how it usually goes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need a house in the summer, preferably with air conditioner.

Post a Comment