Wednesday 6 May 2009

Internship Thoughts...

Dennis still has a long way to go, but it does seem that God is doing something powerful in his life.  I certainly hope so.  And he’s not the only one.  In the course of my time at ECCP, I met all sorts of uniquely challenged individuals – some more sociable than others, and some that just frankly disturbed me.  One elderly man told me once “You know what I’m looking for now?” No, what? “A young man that I can settle down with.”  I inched farther away on the couch.  A few weeks later, after I questioned him on this matter, he explained to me that he wasn’t really an old man.  He was an old woman.  That’s right.  I thought Bryan was male the entire time, but apparently his mother had him go through a sex change at the age of 4 without his knowing.  Confused his whole life about his gender, Bryan finally confronted his mother, who told him at age 50 that he wasn’t genetically a male.  You can begin to understand why these people never really felt like they belonged.  My heart goes out to them, and I’m both blessed and honored to have had the opportunity to experience this other aspect of London: the people on the “outskirts.”  I may never see Bryan or Carl or Dennis again, but I know they are in good hands at ECCP, and I can but pray that the gospel will break them and bring them eternal hope.


I don't think it takes much imagination to figure that these sort of people are everywhere.  The people "on the outskirts," I mean.  But more than that.  Perhaps you'll never get a chance to talk to those sort of people - you'll never get a chance to fill a bowl of pasta for a man that's been through drug-therapy twice this year.  Don't think that also means you won't get a chance to share love with people.  Anywhere you are, whether work or school or in the swimming pool on a hot summer day - there's more than likely someone who doesn't feel like they belong.  See to it that, as far as it is in your power, they do.  It will be well worth the effort.

0 comments:

Post a Comment