Wednesday 6 May 2009

Part III - The Last Day

Two days ago was my last time to work at the coffee bar.  It was a grand last day, but I hated to have to leave.  Most of all, I wanted to see Dennis off before I never saw him again.  Fortunately, he arrived about an hour into it, and gave me an update on the job search.  "I had a literacy test this morning," he informed me, "and I'm still waiting to hear back from it."  "Oh good!"  We talked for a while about the jobs he's applied for, and I wished him the best, and told him today was my last day.  He brushed off the comment and moved onto something else.  "I'll be praying for you and your job search," I mentioned.  "And I'll pray that you vote Democrat next time," he said in what appeared to be all seriousness.  I smiled, but was beginning to think that a proper farewell with this man was close to impossible - when Victoria showed up.  I'd told Victoria about how the Coffee Bar works, and all the strange conversations I'd had, and how mad the Bible study usually is, and so she decided to come see what it was really like in person.  It was wondrous to have her there - I introduced her to Nancy and Kerry and Enrique, to Carl and Bryan, and finally to Dennis.  "Do you have a minute so sit down?" he asked her.  She was excited to meet him, after hearing about him for so long, and was happy to sit and chat with him while I went off to the food distribution area.  "Why are you a Christian?" he immediately when for the jugular.  I smiled.  I gave Victoria the "there's Dennis for you" look, grinned, and left her to a sure-to-be long and interesting conversation with my friend.  


When I got back from handing out the food (an hour later), she was still there, and Dennis looked at me - "I'm telling her," he said with a beam.  I had to think about what he meant for a second and then said, "Oh! your story.  Great."  So I joined them as he finished up, and at the end, he added a part he'd never included before - his wife.  I'd never heard the man speak so honorably of anyone.  She was loving, kind, did everything for him that he needed, and he knew he didn't deserve her at all.  This was a perfect chance for me to get a last word in about the gospel to him.  "I think that's remarkable, Dennis, that you have such a wonderful relationship with your wife.  And it's so interesting, because throughout the Bible, marriage is put out as a parallel to our relationship with God - maybe God is using your relationship with your wife to give you a picture of his own love toward you.  Do you mind if we pray for you and your job search and all, before I have to go?"  "Well, if it makes you feel better, or does something for you, that's fine."  This was a major breakthrough, in my opinion.  You'd have to know the man, but that he would let someone pray for him was a shock to us all.  So Victoria and I (and Amy, who had joined the conversation just a few minutes before) all prayed then and there, and Dennis said nothing, but shook our hands - "I'm glad to have met you, Dennis," I said.  


"Of course you are," he replied.  Such a Dennis answer.  And with that and a farewell, he was off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment